Thursday 11 July 2013

one year.

I know I’m not one to really write personal posts on my blog, but after someone noticed that I had changed my profile to ‘journalism graduate’ (y’all are observant), and the fact that I haven’t been posting as much as I used to, I thought I’d put up a post to explain and share my experience.


I recently (finally) finished university and graduated after studying journalism for three years at UCA. As much as I would love to say that I enjoyed my uni experience, anyone that knows me will know that my situation was the complete opposite. I initially started uni not thinking that I was smart enough, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life…and although I know that’s a common thing amongst a lot of people, when you’re the one experiencing it you do feel very much alone. During the entire three years I struggled with a lot of my work. I didn’t get a lot of positive feedback or general feedback from my tutors, so I never really knew where I was going wrong. The only thing that I did notice is that I liked the way that I wrote and I thought my writing was constantly improving as I did it more. I am very proud of myself for sticking to it and getting awesome results at the end. If you want something bad enough you gotta put the effort in. 

Studying journalism, and with my course being structured the way that it was, I was often given the freedom to be creative so I wrote about what I love. This mainly consisted of fashion, beauty and music…which leads us here. I started my blog at the end of my 2nd year when I basically had a meltdown and had no idea what I was good at and what I wanted to do. As much as I sometimes think that my interests are shallow, there are so many people that share the same interests as me and it’s fascinating seeing that people appreciate what I have to say about certain things.

Going to university is something that I felt like I had to do. You go to high school, on to college, and then naturally you apply and go to university. If I had to make the choice again, I would probably not choose to go. Depending on what you want to do with your life and what you want to study, uni is not the only thing that can get you there, and it’s not even guaranteed to take you where you want to be at the end. If there is one piece of advice that I can pass on, it would be to make sure that you do what is best for you. You know you best, right?  

It’s been very wordy so I think it’s best I wrap it up, but for those of you who made it to the end, I’ve just got one last thing to say. I never thought that my blog would grow like this in just a year, and I appreciate every single person that stumbles upon my page, tweets me, emails me, likes my pics on instagram… seriously, I appreciate it very much and I will continue to do posts just for you guys. You’re all amazing.  


I'm one this month, jayj x.

don't forget to follow me on bloglovin'!

No comments :

Post a Comment